I'm always looking for fun party foods that everyone will love. These Korean BBQ Impossible Meatballs, made in the air fryer, are that perfect crowd pleaser with a little bit of spice and a lot of craveability. Go ahead and indulge!
What is Korean BBQ?
A traditional Korean BBQ consists of a big table with a grill in the middle and everyone cooking their own food. What is so special about the flavors of Korean BBQ all comes down to the use of an ingredient called Gochujang.
How do I buy Gochujang?
These IMPOSSIBLE meatballs are only made into their Korean BBQ magic because of the gochujang sauce. Gochujang is a Korean miso. It's a fermented soybean paste, like miso, but it's made with hot chile peppers and a little bit of sweet.
Shopping for gochujang can be overwhelming because there are so many choices. Here's the tricks for shopping, whether online or in the store:
- Most brands are vegan by default (double check the label that there is no seafood, or choose from my recommended choices below)
- Gochujang, like miso, is fermented using a culture called KOJI. There are chile pastes that do not contain koji. These are not the same. True gochujang will contain the word "koji" or "Aspergillus Oryzae" (the latin name) in the label.
- Gochujang comes in different spice levels, similar to salsa. Pick mild for the broadest appeal, or up your spice game if you know you can handle it.
- Gochujang will keep in the freezer or refrigerator for many, many months. This makes it one of my go-to condiments to keep around for fast flavor.
My recommendations for Gochujang- Shop here
How to make Korean BBQ Meatballs
This is a simple two-step recipe. Make the meatballs, cook. Make the sauce, toss, and cook. The key to working with IMPOSSIBLE meats is to not overwork it when mixing and shaping or it can become rubbery. Mix in the ingredients gently and softly roll the meatballs. Cook first to set, and then toss in the sauce and cook once more to glaze.
Air Fryer Perforated Silicone Mats for Cooking
These are the best silicone mats for making your air-fryer meals non-stick and easy clean up!
Korean BBQ IMPOSSIBLE Meatballs
To Make The Meatballs
- Place the IMPOSSIBLE beef, chopped green onions, grated ginger, sesame oil, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Gently mix together the ingredients until completely combined, but do not overmix.
- Roll into golf ball sized meatballs. Place in the air fryer, making sure the sides of the meatballs don't touch.
- Cook at 400f for 10 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce.
- Place the gochujang, sesame oil, vegan worcestershire, and ketchup in a medium bowl. Mix together until completely combined. The mix should be thick and smooth.
- When the meatballs are done, remove from the air fryer and add to the bowl with the gochujang sauce. Toss until the meatballs are completely covered and then return to the air fryer. Cook for an additional 3 minutes to cook the glaze.
- Remove and serve hot. Garnish with more chopped green onion or sesame seeds (optional)