This is the perfect starter cheese for anyone new to vegan cheeses- or anyone like me who already loves them. This cheese is creamy and salty and perfect for almost any recipe. Great for eating alone with olives and crackers or adding to pastas, veggies, and recipes like my Vegan Tomato and Feta Tart.
The Best Cheese To Use
I swear by this feta cheese from Violife. I don't know anyone who doesn't love it, whether they eat dairy cheese normally or not. However, this recipe could work with any cheese you'd like.
What Is Vegan Cheese Made From?
A lot of people are worried about vegan products because they don't understand the ingredients or where they come from. I like to always start this discussion with a reminder that although maybe unfamiliar, all ingredients are always derived from natural plant materials. This will always be more transparent than a product that comes from an animal. Animals eat, breath, have medical treatments, and are subject to many more ingredients that we don't know about through it's food and capture.
It is always good to ask questions about what's in your food
I believe strongly that it is always good to ask questions about what's in your food. The cheese that I use in this recipe is made from filtered water, coconut oil, potato starch, sea salt, olive extract, vitamin B12, and an ingredient called Gluconolactone- which is a curing and pickling agent, the thing that makes the cheese tangy.
Vegan cheese for a Zero-Cholesterol Diet
One of the important nutritional facts to remember is that plant-based foods contain zero cholesterol. Eating vegan cheese contains 0 grams of cholesterol, compared with dairy-based feta cheese, which contains about 28 grams per ounce.
Best Uses for Best Vegan Marinated Feta
This cheese is so creamy and addicting. Because it is combined with the chopped rosemary and fresh garlic, you'll find yourself substituting for all of your cheese. Try it on pizza instead of mozzarella, or mixed in to a pesto pasta. What about spread on a sandwich with fresh tomato and some olive tapenade? Whatever it is you choose to use it on, I guarantee it will be delicious.
Best Vegan Cheese- Marinated Feta
- Remove the cheese from package and cut into ½-inch cubes
- Place cheese in a mixing bowl
- Remove the leaves from 2 sprigs of Rosemary and chop, reserve the other 2 whole
- Chop the loose rosemary leaves and add to cheese bowl
- Peel and chop the garlic and add to the cheese bowl
- Add the salt and then mix the whole thing together so that the cheese is coated in the herbs, garlic, and salt.
- Place half of the cheese in a clean jar. Stick the 2 remaining rosemary sprigs, whole, into the jar. Continue filling the jar with the remaining cheese.
- Fill the jar with oil until all of the cheese is covered. Tap the jar lightly to remove air bubbles before placing lid.
- Store chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.