Who doesn't love the flavor combo of roasted garlic and rosemary? This vegan butter can be made ahead of time and kept in your fridge. Then, simply slice some off to butter your bread or add extra flavor to your dishes.
What is the Best Vegan Butter?
Not all vegan butters are created equal. And not all vegan butters are used for the same types of cooking. As plant based foods become more common, it becomes harder to know what products to choose. Click HERE to see some basic tips for choosing the best vegan butter for your recipe.
The Trick to Making Roasting Garlic
Roasted garlic and rosemary vegan butter only has a few simple ingredients. The trick to making great roasted garlic relies on these few steps:
- Always use fresh garlic. Garlic starts to go rancid once it is peeled and so buying fresh heads of garlic and is the best way to get fresh garlic flavor. Avoid pre-chopped garlic.
- Remember, slow and steady wins the race. It is tempting to want to speed up the process, but cooking gently for a longer amount of time will result in a softer and deeper flavor.
- Wrap in foil. With each head of garlic, trim off approximately ½-inch off the top, exposing the cloves. Then, place on a square of aluminum foil and drizzle with about 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap up in the foil to completely cover the garlic for baking.
- Cook for approximately 40-55 minutes at 400f. The garlic cloves will be done when they are a deep caramel color and the whole head is soft when squeezed.
- Let cool to room temperature before using. This is because the garlic will be filled with hot oil when just pulled out of the oven, so let cool before handling.
- Squeeze! Once the garlic is done, you can simply turn it upside down and squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skin and onto a small dish.
What to use Roasted Garlic Vegan Butter On
Give roasted vegetables a boost of flavor by adding this butter. I love it on this Simple Spaghetti Squash recipe. You can also use it to make wonderful Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes or a variation on this Ukrainian Garlic Bread Rolls.
Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Butter
Preheat oven to 400f
- Take each head of garlic and trim off the top ½-inch to expose all of the garlic cloves.2 heads garlic
- Place each head of garlic on a square of foil and drizzle the top with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, making sure it drips inside the open cloves.2 teaspoon olive oil
- Fold up the foil to enclose the garlic inside. Place on a baking sheet in the oven, top side up so that it doesn't drip. Bake for 40-55 minutes.
- Remove the butter and set close to the oven to soften while the garlic is cooking. You can do this earlier if you want to get ahead. It is important that the butter is softened, but not melted.8 oz vegan butter
- Chop the rosemary and set aside.1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- When the garlic is ready, the cloves will be a caramel color and the whole head will be soft when squeezed. Remove the garlic from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Turn the garlic upside down over a small mixing bowl and squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves. They should come out easily. It's ok, even great, to let the olive oil come out with the garlic as well. Mash lightly with a fork.
- Add the butter and the rosemary to the bowl and mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Place the butter in a line on a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log shape. Twist the ends and tie them off to close. It should look like a large Tootsie Roll. Refrigerate.