Tomatoes with Breadcrumb Salsa? It may sound unusual, but don't let this simple dish fool you. As the weather gets warmer, the tomatoes get riper. It doesn't take much to highlight already fantastic produce. This salsa is unique and packed with flavors that highlight those vine-ripened beauties. Mix in the toasted breadcrumbs at the end and the texture transforms the dish into something amazing.
What do I serve with these Tomatoes
Tomatoes are the epitome of summertime and go with just about anything you'd serve at a Barbecue or Cook Out. I love them alongside these Basil and Corn Fritters, or served as a side to this recipe for Eggless Salad with Indian Masala Spice. Think of them as a side, a salad, or even a way to up that burger or sandwich game.
Which Tomatoes are best for What
There are literally thousands of varieties of tomatoes out there in the world. The one thing they all have in common is that they are high in Vitamin C and other nutrients like potassium, folate, and Vitamin K. They are also the major source for Lycopene, an antioxidant. Sometimes, it's hard to know which tomatoes you should use for a dish. I love this article from Healthline that lays out the 7 different types of tomatoes and their uses. I quote them here in this summary:
- Sauces: Roma, heirloom, tomatoes on the vine
- Canning: Roma, heirloom, tomatoes on the vine, green tomatoes
- Salads: grape, cherry
- Skewers: cherry
- Sandwiches: beefsteak, tomatoes on the vine, heirloom
- Fried: green tomatoes
- Snacks: grape, cherry, heirloom
The Key Ingredients for the Breadcrumb Salsa
Check out this video I made of making this quick and easy recipe.
Guaranteed to Amaze: Simple Tomatoes with Breadcrumb Salsa
To Prepare the Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbl Olive Oil
- pinch of Kosher Salt
- Start by toasting your breadcrumbs. In a small sauté pan, add the 2 Tbl of olive oil. Add the breadcrumbs and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes). Turn off heat and set aside.
- Chop the capers, then the green onions, and the garlic. Add to a small mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped parsely, salt, vinegar, and oil to the caper mix. Stir well.
- Slice the tomatoes into ¾" slices and lay out on a platters. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, mix the salsa into the breadcrumbs and then sprinkle the whole mix over the tomatoes. Serve immediately.