This Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Puree is my absolute favorite and most versatile underdog vegetable recipe. Use it as a side dish to add richness to a bright dish, or use it in dishes like this Stuffed Shells with Butternut Squash to bring out a cream sauce effect.
How To Make Creamy Cauliflower Puree
See the full recipe below for the details, but here's how simple it is to make:
- Cut your cauliflower into smaller pieces so that they boil faster
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the cauliflower. Cook for longer than you think. Remember you are not looking for a perfectly al dente vegetable, but overly soft and falling apart.
- Drain and puree with salt and butter
The delicate flavor of cauliflower is not only great tasting, but low in carbs and fat so a perfect alternative to mashed potatoes. Check out this article on the Top 8 Health Benefits of Cauliflower.
If your cauliflower puree is too grainy, it means that you did not cook it long enough before pureeing. You will need to cook it for longer than you think, but the results will be so rewarding. Test your cauliflower by pressing a piece of it with the back of a fork. It should easily mash without any resistance and will almost fall apart in just trying to pick it up.
Velvety Smooth Creamy Cauliflower Puree
- In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a rolling boil
- Add the cauliflower and continue to cook on a boil for 8-10 minutes. You want the cauliflower to be extremely soft. This gives the creamy texture.
- Once the cauliflower is done, strain and place into a food processor while still warm
- Add the butter and puree for 1-2 minutes until completely smooth.
- Set aside until ready to use